In Episode 48, The Occupational Philosophers chat with a ‘delight’ of guests, Dr Barbara Doran and Rodger Watson.
Mmmm, sound interesting. Tell me more….
Barbara Doran (PhD) specialises in identifying creative opportunities that respond to complex challenges and putting them in action. She is an experienced speaker, mentor, educator, project innovator, and artist who directs her energies to building our collective capacities to improve how we live. She has worked with some of Australia’s leading practitioners and award-winning productions, including Jungle Boys, Australia’s largest TV commercials production company; Mythbusters in San Francisco; and alongside key filmmaking professionals whose credits include The Matrix, Moulin Rouge, and Gatsby.
Rodger Watson is an innovator for public good and has worked as a public servant, a strategic human-centred design consultant, bartender, pizza deliverer, emu farmhand, and the leader of an academic research centre. He is now Course Director of the Master of Creative Intelligence and Strategic Innovation at the UTS Faculty of Transdisciplinary Innovation and is about to complete a Doctorate in Transdisciplinary Innovation and Philosophy.
In this episode they explore:
- How we need to get out of analysis paralysis – in life and organisations
- Why reframing the way we look at things can bring new solutions
- Why we are all creatively intelligent
- How innovation needs to start with a playful space and why we need to globally embrace play
- How the opposite of play is depression
- Design Abduction – different ways of thinking – put aside the ‘what’ and the ‘how’
- Why their new book is just such an amazing read
- Building on the above, they dive into why we all need to embrace more:
- Creativity/Play and Flow
- Probing and Blitzing
As always, there are some great thought experiments including:
- Guess the school report (yes, the name needs some work)
- Something’s afoot Moriarty!
- Creative Catalyzer course https://open.uts.edu.au/uts-open/study-area/communication–media/critical–creative-thinking/creative-intelligence-catalyser/
- Book – Creative Reboot https://open.uts.edu.au/uts-open/study-area/communication–media/critical–creative-thinking/creative-intelligence-catalyser/
- Transdisciplianary course uts.edu.au/about/td-school
- Rodgers Dads band The Easybeats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Easybeats
About our guests
Dr Barbara Doran
The Occupational Philosophers hope you enjoy the show (they really enjoyed making this episode of their not-so-serious business podcast.) And as The Occupational Philosophers always say: stay curious, make stuff, play more, have fun, and date life.
Say Hello to the OP’s
Their day jobs
SIMON SHOWREEL: https://youtu.be/YZQdJI6qGvg